Sunday, June 14, 2009

Swimming

I'm learning to swim. Is that funny? I feel like it is, and so do many others... If you don't, just take a look at this picture.







Returning Catracho Report image










My goal is to dive by the end of the year, obviously, I have to swim before I can accomplish that. I think you have to be able to swim 200 meters (what's that in yards?) and tread water (float in place) for 15 minutes as part of your Open Water certification. I'm not comfortable in the water so it's really difficult to learn. Snorkeling has helped tremendously, but that was a big obstacle for me to overcome. Breathing while my face was submerged was difficult at first, it's more of a mental thing I guess. The first few times I snorkeled I had to wear a life jacket, and withstand ridicule, even from kids. I've gone out snorkeling a few times without a floatation device, but I still don't think it classifies as swimming. The water is so salty here that staying afloat requires very little effort. All you have to do is keep yourself from freaking out so your muscles don't get all tense. You can seriously fall asleep while floating in the ocean here.

I've also been jumping off piers to force myself to swim back out. That works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails