Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Best Baleada in Honduras



A Baleada is a staple food in Honduras. Flour tortillas, beans, dry cheese, (censilla or plain) and whatever else you want on them (preparada or prepared, make sure you specify what you want though). A burrito you ask? No. The Baleada is one level down on the evolution chart.

Allow me to explain: A burrito wraps it's contents, thus allowing you more convenience while eating. In a Baleada, the tortilla merely folds over its contents, sometimes causing its contents to drip off the ends of tear through the tortilla. In short, you can ride a bike or skateboard (even drive, although I don't recommend it) while eating a burrito, you can't with a Baleada.

For me it is a must to immediately find the best Baleada when going somewhere in Honduras I've never been. I've had some hilarious conversations regarding the common belief that only certain women can make a good baleada. Apparently, the woman's (typical) hands must be at a certain temperature and right size produce a good tortilla.

If you'd like to join a Facebook group created in appreciation of the Baleada, you may do so here:

I LOVE BALEADAS ON FACEBOOK

The best Baleadas in Honduran cities I've lived in:

San Pedro Sula, Cortes
  • I have to give this one to Baleadas Express. BE is quick, delicious, and they make them big there.
  • Runner up goes to the Texaco Station at Ave. Circumvalacion and 1ra calle. This place is open 24 Hrs, this is the place everyone heads to after the bars and dance clubs.
La Ceiba, Atlantida
  • The best place in La Ceiba has to be Super Baleadas, located near the Banana Republic Guesthouse and Las Guacamayas hostels.
  • Mazapan has good Baleadas too, but they premake tortillas and set them under a heat lamp.
  • "La linea" refers to the stretch of railroads where people set up shop and sell food. Baleadas are available there until the early hours, but I don't reccommend anyone go out there looking for them that late.
Tela, Atlantida
  • Ask anyone in Tela for the best Baleada and they will more than likely respond with "Tia Carmen". I don't know what the secret is, but they are BOMB! This place is located in front of Telamar. Good Coffee too!
El Porvenir, Cortes
  • The only place that sells baleadas in El Porvenir is located at the "Pavimentada". They're ok.
Roatan, Islas de la Bahia
  • Roatan hasn't mastered the art of the Baleada. (Update: I recently discovered a caseta that makes excellent Baleadas. I've had them there twice, great both times. I'm heading back tomorrow for a "special" baleada the owner offered me. It has to be good since she couldn't make it at that moment.
Chachahuate, Cayos Cochinos
  • I got awesome baleadas at the community restaurant on Chachahuate, on of the two inhabited keys on Cayos Chochinos. Although I ordered them at the restaurant, they came out of a house down the beach a bit. It appears that they distribute the orders to the homes when the restaurant kitchen was closed.


3 comments:

xhf said...

.. Well Damn That Shit Sound A1..!

carlosjmelgar said...

xhf: Technically, the burrito would be A1. I think "A1" refers to a change in design to the original model of a firearm. So the baleada came first, then the design was upgraded to Baleada-A1 (Burrito). It is bomb though...

Mary said...

I just re-found your blog (and subscribed!) and wanted to let you know that at your recommendation, I hunted down Tia Carmen's baleadas when we were in Tela last summer. I made sure to tell them that they were famous because we read about them on the internet. My husband (the only native honduran in the group) was parking the car, and they seemed more than a little surprised that a bunch of gringos had specifically come to Tela to try their "famous" baleadas, ha ha.

I have to say, they lived up to the hype!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails