Tuesday, November 24, 2009

To vote or not to vote? - The Questions

Voting is not only a right, but also a responsibility. I recognize that this is the most important Honduran presidential election of my lifetime. I know all the cliches (even the one about THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION IN YOUR LIFETIME) that the media tosses around every four years; every vote counts, if you don't vote someone else does it for you (that literally happens in Honduras), make your voice heard, change the nation, yadda yadda yadda. I've even received death threats from Diddy trying to force me to vote with his "Vote or Die" campaign. I bet you didn't know he owns a machete.


Trust me, I know the importance of voting in the elections. The "concept" of voting isn't what causes me to ruminate over my participation or abscence. It's the brutal and inevitable realities we will face after the elections, regardless of who is seated, that makes me not want to vote.


Will our health system improve?
NO! People will continue to die from deseases that are preventable and treatable in other countries. The best we can hope for is more Cuban doctors and health care missionaries from the States.

Will our living conditions improve?
NO! Hondurans will continue to live in the same uninhabitable "homes" that annually get swept away or damaged by flash flooding, rain, or earthquakes.

What about better public services?
Keep dreaming! Honduras will never see the day when potable water pours out of faucets. We will continue to only have access to water contaminated with pathogens and chemical run off, therefore fattening the pockets of the people who own Aguazul. What about the electricity? Let's just say you better not have a fridge full of food because you may be forced to sponsor a neighborhood barbecue when lights go off for more than 12 hours.

Will crime be reduced?
NO! If in the future, someone claims it has been reduced, then it's just being reported inaccurately. Crime will not be reduced because Honduran's will continue to live under the same desperate circumstances. i.e. I have a family, I don't have a source of income (and if I do, it probably doesn't pay enough), I don't have any help from my country = I need to jack someone and come up (for a day) so I can feed these guirros.

Will more employment be created?
I think we'll see a small growth in that sector, but solely because vulture (sorry, I meant to say venture) capitalists are probably drooling over Honduras like stock investors do when they see a giant like Nike or Pfizer temporarily drop in price. They know those stocks are going to bounce back, but they try to anticipate the lowest point they will drop to before investing in those stocks to maximize profit. That doesn't mean we'll see better working conditions though. The only reason why we see these multinational companies here is because our leaders guarantee a "low cost of labor". In other words, we'll continue to be expected to work for less money and in worse conditions than they would ever think of offering their own.

What about the economic state?
Thank G-d for credit!!! I would not be shocked to see the minimum wage reduced, or the Lempira loosing value against the Dollar, thus reducing the minimun wage. If the Lempira looses value against the Dollar, the Lempira price will increase on anything except labor. i.e. When the lempira goes to 25 (guessing) to $1, a 20 Lempira Baleada will go up to 25 lps (WE'RE CONSUMERS NOT PRODUCES, 90% OF ITEMS IN MARKETS COME FROM OTHER COUNTRIES, MOSTLY THE U.S.). Someone earning 5,500 lps ($291.08 @ current exchange 18.8951) as their monthly salary, will now earn 5,500 lps @ 25 = $220.00. That pay is pretty close to the minimum wage that was in place last year (3500 lps or $185.23 at 18.8951 ) .


What happens if you're not being represented by any of the candidates in contention?
Vote for the one that comes closest. NOT!!! Don't do that, I BEG YOU!!! You'll just be another sheep. Baaaaack up a little and think.

Are you trying to tell me not to vote Carlos?!?!
THAT IS NOT WHAT I'M SAYING.


Then what is the best approach?
I'm (annything I say beggining with "I'm" is probably not the best approach, but it's my blog so too bad) inclined to actually go to the polling centers and protesting against all parties and corrupt politicians. You still have to vote though, or else someone will use your ID number and name to vote for any candidate that pays them. I would prefer to cast my ballot with mustaches and eyeglasses drawn on the candidates, rather than being forced to vote for someone that will not have my best interest in mind. Or even worse, have these guys pay someone to vote on your behalf.

That doesn't create change though. How do we create "change"?
You have to demand it. We need to stop asking these politicians "What are you going to do for us?" and start saying "WE NEED YOU TO _________ FOR US!!!" Even better than demanding, start working towards what you want. If you think we need improvements in our educational system, start turoring kids in your neighborhood. If you want a better health system, start teaching kids about the risks of sex and disease prevention. If you're thinking that you don't know how to do that, you're crazy. You have the internet in front of you right now. I can't think of a better resource at our disposal. For instace, I don't know how to make sushi, but I can google it and tell you how in five minutes.



"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." A guy from La Colonia Kennedy.

2 comments:

Eduardo Umanzor said...

Buen post Carlos. Yo también creo q esa es la mejor posición. Vamos a la urnas pero votemos nulo, que se den cuenta esos políticos q estamos cansados de sus mentiras y de su falta de profesionalismo. VOTA NULO!

La Gringa said...

Yikes! Dismal view. I used to think that way, and maybe still should, but I'm choosing to believe that now is that opportunity for more change for the better in Honduras. It can only come from the people. 'Help' from other countries has not brought about change. Some of us think that the 'help' has actually encouraged corruption.

I think the best hope now is the big civic groups who have spoken out pretty strongly against forgiving corruption. Maybe if there is not a chapter in Roatan, you could start one? If you are interested, maybe I could find some contacts for you.

Maybe I'm being a Pollyanna. I hope not or the next time, I'll be on the other side!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails